Sunday, August 26, 2012

VMworld Hands-On Labs, Follow-Up

Vmworld2012 us live

In case you hadn't heard, VMworld became "VMwait" today as I, along with quite a few other strong-willed geeks, waited well over seven (yes, that's SEVEN) hours before being seated for our first Hands-On Lab (HoL). Despite the hardships sustained by all, including the folks in green shirts running the labs, we all came through it alive and stronger for it.  To make it up to us, they decided to stay open until 10pm at which time no new folks could enter but those of us that were there could finish what we started. Proudly, I managed to get three labs in (at least most of them) before heading back to my hotel for the night (sorry v0dgeball and VMunderground, I couldn't make it…maybe next year). Unfortunately, I heard some labs were still having problems even once they got the environment up and running. But luckily for me, I had fairly minimal issues and was able to learn lots!

I want to give a HUGE shout-out to Mr. Irish Spring who did an outstanding job listening to our feedback today and made sure we were supplied with refreshments when we got hungry and kept us informed.

Irish Spring

Also many thanks to Ms. Jennifer Galvin who spent some time chatting with some of us, listening to our (mostly justifiable) grumbling about the experiences of the day.

Jennifer Galvin

In all fairness to VMware, I understand that some of the back-side tech being used this year is different than last year (indeed, some of it isn't even being announced until Monday morning's keynote). They took a risk and ended up having some problems. It's certainly happened to me. I'm betting it has (or will) happen to you.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for everyone involved with the labs.

IMG 0847

No comments:

Post a Comment